Tuesday 13 August 2013

Shield High 0.6 is here.

I really, really wanted to release tonight. Like, REALLY wanted to release. It's 4am and I've spent the past two hours crunching getting ready for release. I cut a corner, but it wasn't a major deal, and I figured I was good to go. Then I hit a glitch which really needed to be fixed, and I couldn't release until I fixed it and it was too late to hunt an-wait. No. I just worked it out. Like, literally as I typed that last sentence I found the problem. I am, in fact, an idiot. So, Shield High 0.6 releases TONIGHT.

WARNING: 0.6 is an interface-combat demo. It has almost no content and is entirely meant for getting feedback and bug hunting.

With that in mind, here's the content:

-Opening scenes up to talking with Jillian
-Training with Sasha in the gym.

That's literally it. Sasha has an entirely new set of combat dialogue though, because it wouldn't be a Shield High release without SOME content.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/91r9y1j7cqm9nxd/Shield_High_0.6_Demo.zip

How to install: Unzip files, run .exe to play. I'M SORRY EVERYONE WHO HAD TO INSTALL THE DEMOS BEFORE, I FINALLY DID SCIENCE AND WORKED THIS OUT. IT SHOULD BE FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

Alright, so yeah, that's the deal, any questions comment or e-mail me.

Enjoy!

Pudding Earl.

OH YEAH! NEW PEOPLE HAVE STARTED PLAYING! So, for those of you who are new, here's a little run-down of Shield High writing policies, so you know if this game is for you.

RULE ONE OF SHIELD HIGH: No dicks. I have nothing against dicks, or those attached to them, but they seem to be overly portrayed in games like this, and whenever I went looking for lesbian-only content it seemed so hard to find. So I made Shield High to make up for it.
RULE TWO OF SHIELD HIGH: Realism abounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the world is realistic. What I am saying is you'll never encounter any monster girls, futa or magic. Same kinda deal as the issue with dicks, but also partly it's just what I'm aiming to write here.
RULE THREE OF SHIELD HIGH: I had one but I forgot it. I think it was something about extremism. I don't recall. If anyone's been around long enough to remind me what it was, or where I wrote it, do me a solid and comment it in. I'm certain there were three rules. I've just been writing within them so long I forgot the specifics.

EDIT: I'M AWARE OF THE POST FIGHT FLICKERING, AND I KNOW WHY IT HAPPENS.

Basically, after fights the game runs an event check based on what happens. The problem is I didn't have time to program actual events for the end. Which includes the clean up of the fights starting code. So it'll be stuck starting and ending the combat forever. Easily fixed for next update.

7 comments:

  1. I only ran into a few bugs, or what I think are some anyway.

    - When I talked to Jillian but didn't register, I walked out and when I tried Inspect/Talking to Sasha/Kaylee later, it played the Jillian registering dialogue anyway. Still had to go to Jillian though to register properly

    - When I used Resist when Sasha was controlling, she happened to use a Fuck attack. Not sure if bug or what but she never did anything but strip/tickle/spank otherwise.

    - When Sasha stripped Jessica the screen started to flicker and... I dunno it was weird.

    Earl why you not let me get Jessica nake- I mean, have to endure the shame of having Jessica be naked yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Okay, I *think* I know what's going wrong there, I'll try and work it out.

      2. Not a bug, just a lack of complete programming, will be fixed up in the future.

      3. Ooooookay. I'm gonna have to find that for myself.

      And because early demo-stage. 0.61 will have naked Jessica.

      Delete
  2. I cant play it ... if i double klick on the .exe file nothing happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you running it on? It runs on the .net framework, so if you don't have that it might be an issue. I'll look into other install options see if that solves it.

      Delete
  3. It seems that you need to install XNA framework to run the exe without crashing - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

    For the bugs I found:
    - Right after starting the game, girls' names are like one level lower (i.e. clicking on Kalyee - no effect, on Sasha - talking with Kalyee, below Sasha - talking with Sasha), then for about one minute I can't actually click on anything to progress further.
    After it passes names' actions return to postions.
    - After choosing between "wander/train", everybody's "talk/inspect" gives "wander" text for former and "train" text for latter. Hopefully, changing mind isn't possible, and first decision is binding.

    For suggestions:
    - Up/down buttons could be grouped together and next to the horizontal directions (as in Rags engine), as their position is a little bit confusing. Or at least change their colors.
    - It would be nice to shrink window height a bit because on my 1376x768 monitor I don't see minimalize/close buttons or can't even move the window.
    - I liked Jessica's portrait, will it return to game?
    - The new fighting system seems somehow complicated with too many options, so it would be nice to have an expalanation for its mechanics. Though new descriptions are very nice. "Continue" button also could be lower.
    For the game itself, it's rather unpolished but for someone who learnt programmin and wrote everything himself it's very nice work. Keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into the bugs, not too sure how they happened, but that's programming in a nutshell I'm pretty sure.

      I'll play around with up/down positions a bit and see what I can find, and I'll try and change the window size, I might just release multiple versions of different resolution, WE SHALL SEE.

      As for the portrait, I commissioned an improved portrait like, forever ago, and for some reason I really don't want to go hunting to commission another. When it's finally finished it will be appearing in game, but I have no idea when that will be. From what I've seen though, it will be worth the wait. Well...maybe not immediatly worth it but...yeah.

      The continue buttons place is more of a hold over from previous sizings that never got fixed, that'll be patched up in the next version for sure. I'll also write down a basic explanation of the mechanics sometime soon, before next release at the very latest.

      Delete
  4. release next version soon please :D

    ReplyDelete