Monday 20 February 2017

A brief thought a day before a release

So, obviously I'm releasing in...about 24 hours. Most of the content is in working order, I'll need about 30-45 minutes to test all my romance content one last time but last time I checked it seemed to pick up and work. Being enslaved is in a state of half-working. The vast majority of the events work, though one seems to be a bit iffy. I can fix it quite easily I'm sure, with a little bit of tweaking to some numbers and an extra line or two of code here and there.

But the event that frees you? That's fairly broken. I'm not sure how exactly I can fix it. And the more I play the more I feel like my game is held together by tape and needs a few minor tweaks to stop things over-writing each other so readily. I'm certain I'll get to it eventually, probably during one of the many spring cleaning updates I'll be bothered enough to rework the bits that have become broken under the slowly growing weight of the content.

But, this problem got me thinking. For a game like this, where each update comes on an exact date with more or less whatever I've managed to do by then, are such problems to be expected? Is it reasonable to release the game with a bug that I'll have fixed in a couple of days, knowing if I held off I could fix it but not because it's release day so I'm releasing? Is there even any real grounds for people to complain? I mean, beyond the obvious reporting of bugs, is it something that is reasonable to be upset about? I'm not sure. I hope to not find out tomorrow, as hopefully I can pinpoint the bugs and fix them, at least in the short term while I try and sort out a way to fix some of the deeper issues that might resolve this whole problem.

Anyway, that's it, release for Patrons tomorrow with some of the wonderful content I promised, and some less wonderful versions of content I promised that will likely get expanded on a bit in the next update.

Pudding Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment