Monday 2 January 2017

Shield High 0.682b releases

The spring cleaning update is finally here for non-patrons. In doing up the next update I found a small bug in the code, and so what I'm uploading here is the current work, complete with bug fixes. So far the new content for the next update is all locked behind an event that doesn't have a start flag, so all you get is a Melanie and a poorly prepared Andriana.

So anyway, what's new to 0.682b? Mostly polish. Here's a quick list of things I remember:

-Buttons are now more clear in what they do, if you hover your mouse over a button for about a second, a small popup comes up describing the button for you.
-Attending class is a little easier, but also a bit more difficult. There's an extra click involved to attend class, however when you hover over the interact button it now tells you where your next class is.
-There's a new event! It's a rather small event, it's located in the changing rooms, under the interact button.
-Weekends work. They don't have any content to them, but they will sooner or later. Probably in a social update I'll add all these things.
-Room descriptions. Every room in the school has a much more thorough description for it. This includes listing characters who will(eventually) be present in the game, so outside of the schoolyard, you'll always know who's around without having to check the character list.

I feel like there's more, but I'm not entirely sure of that. I know some features I programmed haven't been implemented yet, and will be appearing in next update. In fact, I literally commented out the use of one just before updating today since I was mid-work when I remembered to post this.

So anyway, download is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zkapsyqzkmu9gp8/Shield_High_JS_0.682b%282%29.7z



I hope you all enjoy, and as I've mentioned before, next update is the making trouble update. I've already got Melanie's event programmed, and I'll be writing it up over the next few days and then doing some testing.

Pudding Earl.

P.S. As I've mentioned previously, I plan to advertise with this update, so if you're an older fan, I'd appreciate suggestions of places to post about Shield High in comments. I'll be posting there in the morning after I've done the advertising listing where I have already posted. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Uploaded a broken version. This is now fixed and the broken version has been deleted. Also messed up my numbers, so they're now fixed too.

EDIT 2: The fixed version was also broken. This new version should be fixed, but no promises. Saving has been reported broken and will remain broken because I don't know what the problem is and I don't have time right this moment to fix it. It will be fixed for 0.683 and probably fixed up a bit more.

10 comments:

  1. There is something wrong with the download. When I start the game up it's just a test fight between Jessica and Samantha and when it finishes the game crashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops. A single line of test code made it through the purge. I've fixed it now, and hopefully the new version has no bugs.

      Delete
    2. Nevermind. It looks like after the first day, trying to go to school crashes the game. The save system also crashes the game.

      Delete
    3. I shall get on top of fixing these immediately. In the meantime, I'll throw up a link to the less broken version.

      Delete
    4. Damn. Thought it was fixed this time but couldn't do anything after I went home after beating Karen and being nice to her. It started the event but the continue button wouldn't work.

      Delete
    5. That is an intentional ending point, since there is no content beyond that at this stage. Well, the generic content is there, but only because it's everywhere. Originally I left it like that because weekends weren't done. Now I'm leaving it like that because the content there isn't ready yet. It'll be fixed in the next update when you can actually do things after beating Karen.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pudding. I Found a few bugs. As pointed out above, after beating karen and enslaving her, the continue button does not work. What I mean is that the whole scene stops on the first "page". Another bug I found is that after submitting to Karen the events that would follow do not appear. There is also a minor bug in which, after beating Karen into slavery, the second class description appears in the third class and the third class, when you go home. I don't think they were intentional, but if they were, I'm sorry to bother you.
    All in all I'm pretty excited with this update, can't wait to see what the npc's status will develop into and I love the idea of the descriptions. The pop ups on the buttons are also a cute and nice addition.
    Hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The continue button freezing is a curious bug. I'll investigate it and see if I turn anything up. Regarding the content after submitting to Karen, I'm not surprised. I changed how some core functionality related to that functions, and the fix I did attempt I didn't get a chance to test, so I'm not surprised to hear it didn't work out. I'll get on that one once I'm done writing out this current scene either today or tomorrow. I know for a fact the previous version it works, if you insist upon finding the content. Saving also didn't get broken in that update, so that's nice.
      As for classes bug, I think I know how that came about, it should be a relatively easy fix honestly. Thanks for reporting all of these, it really helps get the game into shape.

      Delete