Wednesday 12 March 2014

An update and also a question

Okay so, not quite fully recovered, but I'm getting a lot better. Just trying to stop spending my nights procrastinating, and start actually working. Speaking of working, I actually have a serious question for you all in regards to a design decision I'm looking at. How much does the combat text matter to you? When I started I intended for it to be the central appeal, but as time went on the heavy content ended up being put elsewhere. Now, I'm not considering removing the combat text or anything, I'm just thinking it might be easier if I didn't write a unique set of entries for every single combat, but instead wrote general entries that got assigned to characters. There'd still be variety, obviously, but it'd be closer to like, 10 variations, instead of the 40 or so I'm probably looking at.

So, would that be a huge problem in your opinion? Or should I go right ahead and cut back on my work load?

Also of note: When I get back to work I plan to just focus on combat entries for a couple weeks and get as much done as possible, so I can run out a lot of content in one go.

Sorry for my absence!

Pudding Earl

5 comments:

  1. My vote would be for unique text for when you successfully strip a piece of cloth from your opponent or when she successfully strip a piece of your clothes. Everything else I think is fine to use more generic text. I rather you spend more time writing what happens after you win or lose a match then the text during combat (except the major events during the combat which to me is when a piece of clothes comes off).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, a rather cruel question...
    I really like the variety inside of the battles, but cutting it down
    would result in faster updates.
    Argh damn it. XD
    Would it be possible to only cut it down for now and
    update it later?
    I think that would be the ideal way here, especially since there isn`t as much Story
    yet compared to the old Rags Version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly I hated to hear what happened. That really sucks. Wishing you the best man.

    As for the game, I'm a lot like @cyrand, in that I think it's a lot better to be more generic when describing regular combat maneuvers, especially average grapples and the like, than it is for the moves that strip on the fighters. The stripping is more of a highlight for me, so if you're going to do some unique per-character dialogue, save it for moments like that.
    That being said, minimize your workload whenever you can by all means. I mean, I enjoyed the crap out of the old 0.53 release, so I'm sure whatever you do will be great.

    To give some overall perspective where I'm concerned, I'm really into bdsm, to put it simply, and also I really like games where different kink-related things happen depending on whether you win or lose, such that if you lose a battle, there are real playable consequences involving say captivity or being a slave that just don't happen to you if you win. In other words branching paths.
    I've found that this is really quite rare. Usually a defeat results in just a 'game over' screen or a short 'bad end' cutscene, rather than a playable(though maybe unfortunate for the heroine :P), narrative.

    Basically, all of that above is the big thing that drew me to your game. I love the 'enslave or get enslaved' and 'strip or get stripped' dynamics. And when the outcome is determined by how well you do, it really adds a nice sexy rush to the whole thing.
    Apart from that, it has interesting characters and an engaging story, so I got hooked immediately.

    Just use your judgement about where to 'cut corners' and I'm sure it'll turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, I was not expecting a bunch of replies the day I posted this. Anyway, in regards to various concerns, the stripping text will absolutely remain unique for each character, I know how hugely important that is to me. It's also my favorite part of combat dialogue to write.

    And Nate, I have full intentions to go through and unique-ify all of the combat dialogue in the end. It's just right now I'm struggling to get unique stuff together and I'd like to write literally anything else at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fights are fun, but more content is better. I'm right there with Pixelated Nonsense. The enslave or be enslaved is really great. Most games don't give you that option, it's usually win or get raped in the game over scene. and the RPG games are OK, but most of the sex scenes are poorly written over static images. So anything that helps you get content updated is A-OK to me. :)

    ReplyDelete